If you witnessed or received exemplary service from an MOE staff, we would like to hear your Comments!
Higher Institutions of Learning
To supervise, coordinate and guide the admissions, study, training and teaching and research at all institutions of higher learning:-
Objectives of Higher Education Department:-
- Monitoring and supervision activities of all the tertiary institutions, with the view to ensuring the following:
- Teaching to produce high-level human resource.
- Qualitative research both basic and applied takes place to produce high caliber academic and technical human resources.
- Public service through a variety of extension activities.
- Books, journals and research papers are published.
- Serving as store-houses of knowledge and centre of excellences.
- To admit Uganda Advanced Certificate of Education ("A" level) leavers into other tertiary institutions.
- To co-ordinate activities of regional organizations such as the Inter-University Council of East Africa (IUCEA), African Institute for Capacity Development (AICAD) and matters of Ugandan students on scholarship abroad.
- To solicit for and administer scholarships through Central Scholarship Committee and Uganda Independence Scholarship Trust Fund.
- To make interventions on policy issues relating to higher education.
Functions of Higher Education Department:-
- Monitors implementation of Government policies at Higher Education Institutions of learning.
- Through the Joint Admissions Board (JAB) undertakes the admission of Advanced level leavers to Tertiary Institutions for undergraduate diploma. This is carried out immediately Public Universities Joint Admissions Board completes their admissions exercise;
- Formulation of policies on admissions to tertiary institutions.
- Provision of relevant technical advice to policy makers as regards Higher Education;
- Executes policies, procedures and regulations pertaining to Scholarships and Admissions to Higher Institutions of learning and provides secretariat for the relevant organizations statutory committees like the Central Scholarships Committee, and the Uganda Independence Scholarship Trust Fund;
- Co-ordinates activities of the African Institute for Capacity Development and Inter University Council of East Africa and matters of Ugandan students on scholarship abroad.